POST: Lead Optometrist
LOCATION: Academy Street, Belfast
An exciting opportunity has emerged within Cathedral Eye Clinic for a Lead Optometrist to work within
our Clinic at Academy Street, Belfast.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Optometrist to lead and coordinate a multi-
disciplinary team. The post holder will work closely with medical staff and Senior Optometric and
nursing colleagues to deliver the highest quality of service and standard of care. They should be
highly experienced in refractive surgery and laser treatments and good knowledge across many
Key duties include:
• Responsibility for the clinical optometry services and delivering a broad range of specialised,
complex, and non-routine optometric work for a wide range of complex eye conditions.
• Provide clinical leadership for Optometrists and Ophthalmic Technicians and provide an
extensive range of essential and sub-specialty services to the highest standard of quality and
• Support the clinical development of optometrists and Ophthalmic Technicians
• Support the development & implementation of sub-speciality clinical services (e.g.,
refractive surgery and laser, cataract, glaucoma etc)
• Inspire your practice colleagues to advance their own clinical knowledge and share your
expert experience to support continual improvement.
• Be a role model and support the company’s Learning and Development, CPD and induction
• Using specialist knowledge to support new and innovative eye care pathways to continually
improve the patient care provided.
• Support the development and delivery of effective clinical protocols and audit systems to
promote good practice across the service and act where necessary to improve agreed
• Create and continue to develop competencies and protocols for the clinic.
• Manage the 24-hour emergency phone for the clinic.
• To be able to communicate information (clinical and other) to patients, carers, and
• To accurately assess, analyse and interpret clinical tests from state-of-the-art technology.
• To ensure specialist equipment used within the clinic is in working order and calibrated.
• To participate in research and audit data collection and communicate findings effectively.
• Responsible for the day-to-day management of multiple clinics across different sites.
• Ensure stock is managed effectively.
• Current GOC registration with proven post-qualifying experience.