NICRN VISION NETWORK- MAG-VUE ALERT CARD
Principal Investigator: Prof. Julie Silvestri
Disease: Bilateral Severe Macular Disease i.e. dry AMD or stable wet AMD or inherited retinal disease.
Summary: This study is testing a new implantable intraocular magnifying lens the Scharioth Macular Lens (SML). The study will assess whether the magnifying device, which produce between x2-3 magnification, is helpful in improving the near vision of patients with severe macular disease.
Main Inclusion Criteria:
- Adults 18+ years
- Stable advanced macular disease
- VA between 6/24 to 6/60 (Both eyes)
- Inter-eye difference not exceeding 0.3 log units (15 letters)
- Experience with external low vision aids
- Patient needs to be pseudophakic in either one or both eyes.
Main Exclusion Criteria:
- History of glaucoma or being on anti-glaucomatous medication
- History of cataract surgery with a multifocal intraocular lens
- VA outside the 6/24 to 6/60 range in either eye
- Inter-eye difference exceeding 0.3 log units (15 letters)
- Lack of a clear view of the retina
If any patients are interested in finding out more about the study, they can contact the Research Team on 028 96152793 or email Magvueinfo@belfasttrust.hscni.net