Disorders of the Cornea by Prof Colin Willoughby
- In the traditional model of the tear film by Wolff 1954 the given values for thickness and volume were as follows –
A- 7-10µm thick and 7µl volume
B- 7µm thick and 7-10µl volume
C- 12µm thick and 12µl volume
D- 3µm thick and 10µl volume
2. When grading the ocular surface using the van Bijsterveld Scoring system the maximum score available is –
3. Fabry disease is a rare X – linked lysosmal storage disorder therefore it occurs –
A- In males only
B- Equally in males and females
C- Mostly in males
D- In females only
(Answers: 1A, 2C, 3 C)
IP Optometry in North East Scotland by Malcolm McPherson
- During the Eye Casualty audit carried out by Mohan Varikarra in Aberdeen 2006 what percentage of referrals were found to be true emergencies?
2. What was the number one prescribed item in the data collected during the 1st Quarter of 2018 April – June?
A- Vit A Pos
C- Chloramphenicol 0.5% drops
D- Viscotears/carbomer gel
3. The country with the highest percentage of IP Optometrists in the UK March 18 is –
D- Northern Ireland
(Answers: 1B, 2D, 3A)
Medical Condition and their Treatments – Common Systemic Conditions, Treatments and Links to Eye Disease by Dr Ciara McLaughlin
- For patients with Glaucoma the medical associations that come with the disease are –
B- TIA/Atrial Fibrillation/Hypertension
C- None of the above
D- All of the above
2. For adults with Type 2 Diabetes managed by diet and lifestyle the desired HbA1c level is –
3. NICE define hypertension as persistent raised blood pressure.
Stage 1 Hypertension is classed as –
A- Greater than 160/100
B- Greater than 180 Systolic or greater than 110 diastolic
C- Greater than 140/90
(Answers: 1D, 2A, 3C)
Genetics and Optometry – Why is it important? By Prof Colin Willoughby
- Which of the following is not a nucleotide found in DNA?
2. Having identical genes (one from each parent) for a particular characteristic is –
3. Some characteristics have been found to be multifactorial. Which of these is not 100% genetic?
C- Down Syndrome
(Answers: 1D, 2A, 3D)
Hearing Impairment and Deaf Awareness by Ursula O’Neill
- We receive what percentage of information through sight and hearing?
2. A patient using a white stick with a red band is a sign that they are –
C- Deaf and Blind
D- None of the above
3. By 2035 it is estimated that 15.6 million people will have a hearing loss across the UK. That is?
A- 1 in 10
B- 1 in 5
C- 1 in 20
D- 1 in 3
Answers: 1A, 2C, 3B)
Assessment of Children with Special Educational Needs and Disability by Lynda McGivney-Nolan
- Intellectual Disability, I.D is defined as –
A- An IQ between 70 and 75 or below
B- An IQ between 75 and 80
C- An IQ below 90
D- An IQ over 90
2. Which of the following is not a symptom of CVI, Cerebral Visual Impairment?
A- Blurred vision
B- Field of vision loss
C- Difficulty with focusing when looking at an object
D- Uncontrollable rapid eye movements
3. What percentage of our environmental information is visual?
(Answers: 1B, 2D, 3A)